11/4/08

Here comes the sun

Thinking of U.S. politics, there were times during the last eight years when I was unable to find the evidence necessary to support an optimistic perspective, when I had to fall back to a state of hope, when I could only imagine how a more humane and just country would function. "Here Comes the Sun" was often the soundtrack to those daydreams.

Finally, one of those dreams is blossoming into reality: it seems likely that Barack Obama will be elected President of the United States today.

The serious concerns that will continue demand our attention are mounting, but if you're as pleased at the probable outcome of the election as I am, then I invite you set those concerns aside for a few minutes and enjoy a version of this song that suits your taste.

::
Left to right: Richie Havens, The Beatles, Nina Simone

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right

No comments: